Monday, December 8, 2014

Counting By 7's



           This week, I read the novel Counting By 7's by Holly Goldberg Sloan. It isabout a child genius who struggles to fit in with normal people. She likes to study illnesses, keep a garden, and read giant books of random facts.

          Willow Chance is 12 years old and just starting Middle School, though she knows more than the teachers. On her first day at Sequoia Middle School, the students think that she is a janitor because of her "gardening outfit" that she loves. Willow takes a test, which she passes in 14 minutes. The principal sends her to counseling because of the assumption that Willow cheated; no other student in the whole district had passed the test.

          Willow strikes an unlikely friendship with two other kids in counseling and the counselor, Dell Duke. An unlikely plot twist occurs, and Willow finds herself living in a garage behind a nail salon with Pattie, Mai, and Quang-ha Nguyen. Quang-ha hates Willow, and both he and Mai are a couple years older. As Willow struggles with her predicament, she finds herself changing her personality.

          I would definitely recommend this book to those who have not read it yet.


6 comments:

  1. I like this book so much! It's sad in the beginning, but I love your description!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this! Ugh I'll put it on my list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this last year and liked it. But I thought the writing was only ok. I would recommend this though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an interesting book. I really like your description. I need to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read that book, I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds cool!I haven't read it, but it sounds pretty good and I like the idea of the storyline.

    ReplyDelete